Monday 9 February 2015

Aubergine Massaman Curry followed by Custard Tart

On Saturday night we had a family curry evening. I made the 'Aubergine Massaman Curry' from the MasterChef cookbook, although I had to tell my younger brother Archie, that it was just 'Massaman Curry'. Amongst the long list of his dislikes is Aubergine (Eggplant)! Massaman is a Thai curry of Muslim origin, usually containing coconut milk, roasted peanuts, potatoes, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon, palm sugar, fish sauce and tamarind sauce and of course this one included aubergine.
My father made a 'Mushroom bhaji' and a 'Chicken Tikka Masala' (the same recipe I have used before from the MasterChef cookbook) to accompany my dish. The whole meal tasted delicious, served with lime pickle, mango chutney, rice and poppadoms, popped laboriously by me in the microwave!
For similar recipe go to:
http://www.homecooksrecipe.com/2009/09/thai-massaman-curry-with-eggplant-and.html

Ratings:
Taste: 8 (but for children a 6)
Appearance:7
Difficulty: 5

It seems that Custard Tart would be a great dessert to bake around Christmas time, as the filling tastes a bit like eggnog (not that I would really know) - or so I have been informed by 2 reliable sources (yes my parents!) The crust should ideally be made from amaretti biscuits, but other biscuits can be used and I used simple Granita biscuits. The recipe includes 60ml of dark rum, but after tasting it I realised that I should have used half of that amount with us young ones around...I think my parents were fine though! It was a lovely smooth creamy dessert, not dissimilar to a thin boozy cheese cake, but it was too rich for my brothers and me and I think that school would have had something to say if they'd known that we had been given alcohol in our school lunch the next day! Again, it was difficult to find an exact match for the recipe, so I am using one of my 7 allowed MasterChef cookbook prints, hope you can read it ok?
For exact recipe see below:

Ratings:
Taste: 8 (again for children a 6 due to the rum)
Appearance: 9
Difficulty: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment